Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Thieving Mechanics

There is a joke that was used in comedy skits back when I was in camp.
(I'll be nice and leave out the ethnicity of those portrayed in this skit)
"We have good news & bad news, the good news is today we all change our underwear.
the bad news is: you change with him, he changes with him etc."


Earlier today I noticed that my car is passed due for an oil change. As I was contemplating where to bring it for the oil change I remembered the last time i took my car for an oil change in Brooklyn...

There's this mechanic shop (I can't remember the name) that would put cards under my windshield wipers approximately every 3 days advertising super low rates for various check-ups & maintenance. I've been wanting to try the $6.99 oil change for a while, but i figured it has to be some kind of scam, it's too good to be true.
eventually I decided to try it out, I figured I'll just be very wary, keep my guard up and hopefully I'll figure out the catch or scam before it's too late. I figured i can always go elsewhere if I don't like what they tell me.

Early the next morning I pulled into the garage and told the guy I wanted an oil change. "Alright" he tells me, "that will be $16.99" so i showed him the coupon and asked for that rate. he told me if I want that it's fine, but for that rate i get some super-cheap generic brand of oil, if I want the good stuff i need to pay more.

So I'm thinking "Aha, so that's the scam, the classic 'bait & switch' they just publish the low rate to get you in the door then try to sell you a more expensive product" so i figured I'm already there i might as well get it done there, I wasn't interested in shlepping elsewhere. I opted for the more expensive option & the mechanic went to the back room and got the bottles of Mobil oil.

I didn't particularly trust these guys, so I stuck around watching the guy change the oil. I started getting really bored and decided to read the label on the bottle of oil. Immediately I realized that something is not quite right, I thought it was pretty strange that a new bottle of oil should be so dirty and oily. Then i noticed that the seal was broken, the Bottle had been opened previously! So It's not just a bait & switch...

I didn't say anything yet, I decided to wait and see what he would do. He finished with draining the oil and changing the filter and prepared to refill my oil, he reached down, took a bottle of oil and was about to start pouring. "You know what?" I told him, "I would feel a lot more comfortable if you used an unopened bottle of oil for that" the guy didn't even bat an eyelash, I doubt he would've blushed if he could have (he was a really dark Jamaican). he simply took away the old bottles of oil without saying a word and came back with new bottles which he gave me to inspect before using.

I can only hope that they had refilled the bottle with the cheap generic oil. I sure hope they weren't about to fill up my car with the oil from the last guy who came for an oil change. I really hope the next sucker that came in didn't get my oil.

If I'm not mistaken "honest mechanic" is on the list of top 10 oxymorons.

So now I need to figure out where to take my car for an oil change. I was considering just changing the oil myself, but than I read this thing about how to change your oil and i changed my mind.

I guess it's off to Jiffy Lube...

to be continued...

3 Comments:

Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

LOL! good post.
Regarding the underwear, you sure it was like that only in the skits? you know how some kids are in camp away from the mommies, I can swear there were kids in my bunk back in the camp days who actualy looked forward to the 9 days. ewwww.

Good one with the oil change, smart man, most people would be scared to say anything...

May 05, 2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger Nemo said...

Sounds so Brooklyn!

May 06, 2006 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 04, 2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home