Monday, May 01, 2006

I hate southwest +why start this blog

Why start a blog now?
I've been planning on starting a blog quite a while ago, I just haven't been bored enough to actually do it. I was reading Chasidishe Shaigitz's post about airlines and was going to post a comment about my trip. I started typing my comment and it just kept getting longer and longer and longer, eventually I realized that this needs a post all of its own. So basically, if you don't like my blog, know that it's all Chasidishe Shaigitz's fault!

well, on to the post:

I just flew southwest going to cali for pesach, that airline is out of hand.

after this it's back to jetblue...

It all started with a 6:45 am flight from Islip. (I know that's crazy but I couldn't pass up this buy one get one free deal).

First of all, what the heck is that no preassigned seat business all about? Would it really cost them that much to print "16F" on my boarding pass?!
All I could say is thank G-d I was traveling with a baby and was able to preboard. (if you've ever traveled with a baby "thank G-d I was traveling with a baby" is probably not something you would ever expect to hear) I really felt bad for all those people standing in line for an hour so they could grab a decent seat. (mental note to self: never fly southwest without a baby)

Overall the flight to Cali was pretty uneventful, although, going from Chicago to Oakland I got the chance to feel what those sardines go through being crammed into those cans. (these seats are simply not designed for people over 6' tall) not to mention that I was lucky enough to get the row right in front of the exit row so my seat only leaned back about 1 inch.

Now my flight back, that was a completely different story. It started out as one of those real "Murphy's law" days. And it started before I got to the airport. I had a rental car I needed to return (at a local location, not at the airport) and of course I forgot to fill up gas the night before. We figured the best thing would be if we went together to the rental place and than straight from there to the airport. (of course by now we're starting to run a little bit late) since I needed to fill up gas I decided to go ahead, fill up gas, and have them meet me at the rental place. I get to the gas station and reach into my pocket, only to realize that I left my license, credit card & cash on the dining room table. (the rest of my wallet went in my backpack, its easier on the security checks)

Anywho, to make a long story short, we arrived at the airport 45 minutes before take off. We go to the ticket counter, (we had already checked in online, but apparently that doesn't have any use when flying southwest with an infant) and proceed to re-check in.
for those who are unaware, southwest's luggage policy is 3 bags per person, max 50lb per bag. Between the 2 of us we had 3 bags, one about 40lb, one 54lb and one about 20lb. The 54lb one happened to be the last one I put on the scale (until this point I didn't know they used those scales!)
the woman tells me "that bag weighs 54lb, the limit is 50lb per bag, do you think you can move some stuff to another bag? If not we have to charge you $25"
me: "you're kidding, right?"
apparently she was actually serious, so, fuming mad, I open up my suitcase and try to decide which of my clean, neatly folded clothes do I want to dump in my duffel bag full of dirty laundry? Finally I get it down to 51lb, the woman says "ok, that's good enough" then she takes a tag that says "51-100 lbs" and affixes it to my suitcase.
now what could she have possibly be thinking by afixing that tag?!
What's the reason for the 50lb rule? Is it to warn the baggage handlers that it's heavy? I'm sure they can really tell the difference between a 49lb bag and a 51lb bag!
maybe it was to make sure they didn't have too much weight on one side of the plane, after all, we sure don't want to have an off balance load. (mental note to self: never fly southwest. Ever.)

I guess there are brain dead people who are just following procedure in every industry.

well we Finally get our boarding passes and head toward the gate. (just under 30 min. To take-off) encountering a line by security the likes of which I haven't seen since immediately following 9/11. So I go to the front of the line and tell the guy I have a 10:00 flight which I don't want to miss. he tells me don't worry, I've got plenty of time. Then he decides to look at my boarding pass. "oh, you're going to gate 12, no, you're not going to make it" (in the back of my mind it kind of registered what that meant: I would be running to the other end of the airport to catch my flight)

I use to think it was annoying taking a laptop through airport security. Then I started taking a baby & stroller and I realized a laptop is pretty easy. (compared to the baby & stroller, having to deal with both at the same time is not for the feint of heart...)

after practically running to the other end of the airport we realize that our plane has not yet arrived at the gate. (yay, we get to preboard!)
Thank G-d we got the front row seats (actually enough room for my legs!) about 10 minutes after take off a thought starts going through my head "I wish we didn't have that stopover in salt lake city, I'm really not in the mood of changing planes in an hour"
well there wasn't much time to dwell on that thought, my baby had other plans for me. Lets just say white spit-up doesn't look too good on a blue shirt. And I'm not just talking about a couple of drops, the entire front of my shirt was covered. As I'm heading to the bathroom to clean myself up I hear a woman somewhere behind me muttering to her friend "poor guy..."

after a little chat with some mormons and a headache from the kid 2 rows back who didn't stop crying we arrive in salt lake city and head toward our connecting flight when a feeling of dread begins to overcome me. The sign by the gate?
flight 1972 (I think)
Baltimore
Islip
after verifying that my flight does indeed stop in Baltimore I find myself thinking: "funny, I don't seem to remember a stop in Baltimore being mentioned in my itinerary. I guess since we don't deplane they don't find it necessary to inform us" (reconfirm mental note to self: never fly southwest. Ever.)

the rest of the flight was pretty uneventful, B"H we got the front row again, also there were a few empty seats so we were able to bring the car seat on.

one downside of the front row:
for some reason I thought the stop in salt lake city would be a bit longer and I would be able to daven there. (foolish me thinking if I got up at 7 I would actually have time to daven before leaving to the airport...) it's kind of annoying putting on my talis and tefillin with every single person on the plane watching.

after that nothing really exciting happened, eventually we made it home. (I realize I've been spoiled all this time having the airports so close to home. Now I really feel for all those people who are hours from any airport)

bottom line: southwest is not for me. I'm sticking with jet blue. (this bring to mind the time I thought I had a horrible flight because the directv wasn't working properly)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty bad flight!
Very well written.......(blah blah blah)

May 01, 2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Great writing! thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mazal tov on starting your blog, may we merit many more great posts from you.

May 01, 2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Renegade said...

thanks both of you for the kind words & emotional support!

May 02, 2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

Hey... welcome to blogworld and... good luck! Great post!

May 07, 2006 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home